Thursday, January 28, 2010
I've completed bookmark #1. Here's a picture of it. Aside from changing the colors a bit, I changed the lettering. The original had "to" but I think "To" looks better. I bought some fine denim to use for backing all the bookmarks. I'm going to wait until I have a few all stitched and then do the backing all at once.
Bookmark #2 is started, but not enough to warrant a picture. I'll post about it later.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
A few of us from the online cross-stitch group to which I belong are making bookmarks to donate to St. Judes Hospital. Here's my progress so far on my first one. It's on 14 count plastic canvas, using 3 strands of DMC thread. This is easy and portable, so makes a nice compliment to my complicated, stay-at-home WF project.
I got a bit of work done on my Winter Fairy, then discovered I'd made a mistake. I had to frog almost everything I'd done - and frogging on 28 count is hard - but I could not continue knowing that it was wrong. So, it's all corrected and I've progressed a bit beyond where I had reached before. This picture shows the work to date. If you compare it to the model, this is her sash and just the very beginning of some of her dress.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Having gotten some very helpful advice from my friends at the yahoo cross stitch group, I made a start on my Winter Fairy. I'm posting a couple of pics to show my first day's stitching. Doesn't look like much, does it? Well, it's a small amount for the picture (the second pic shows how much space is still to fill!), but a large step for me. No, I don't plan to post daily pictures, but I wanted to document my start. I'll probably post as I finish sections.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Here's a picture of my next planned project. I've never done anything so large and complex (well, not since doing needlepoint kneelers for my church a long, long time ago). I have the fabric and threads, except for one specialty thread.
I'll be starting her in January and my goal is to finish her for the winter of 2010. I will post progress pictures as I go.
Here is a harp ornament I did for a friend. It's on 14 count plastic canvas, done with DMC threads, and beads for the holly berries and strings. I had to figure out a reverse pattern so I could do two and sew them together to make a double-sided ornament. It was tricky work but I'm pleased with the result (and so was she!).
Finished: November 2009