Tuesday, October 22, 2013

And now for something completely different

Hubby and I spent the past weekend building a dog.  Yep, you read that right.  Let me explain.  Hubby, our daughter Meg and I are all Whovians, that is, big fans of Doctor Who.  Meg has also gotten her college roomie hooked on the show, so the girls plan to to dress up as two different regenerations of the Doctor for Halloween this year.  Meg chose #4, played by Tom Baker, and one of his companions was a little robotic dog named K-9.  So Hubby and I decided to surprise her with her very own K-9.  We had a lot of fun going up and down the aisles at the hardware stores and finding things to use as components.  It was pretty challenging, but that's also part of the fun.  We spent just about the entire weekend on it.  We're going out to college tonight to hear her sing (she has an amazing voice and sings jazz), and we're taking him so she'll have him for Halloween. 

You can look up pictures of the original K-9 on line - there are plenty of them.  Meanwhile, here is our version, K 9.5:

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cross-Stitching is Done!!

Today I put in the last cross-stitches on my fairy!  Woohoo!  I'm really pleased.  (And I found it interesting that I finished stitching the snow at her feet during the 7th anniversary of the October Storm, which dumped two feet of unexpected snow on us and caused all sorts of havoc.)  I have been working on her for about three and a half years.  I never sewed on her much during the winter months because the light was rarely good enough for me to work on 24 count fabric, so that added considerably to the completion time.

Now I just have to finish all the backstitching and do the beading.  I'd like to have it completed by the end of October, but I'm not really sure how long all that will take.  Meanwhile, my dear readers, here she is:

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

End of September Update

I'm very excited to announce that I've finished the cross-stitching on the fairy!  I didn't quite complete all the cross-stitching, though; a little bit of the bunny and some snow remain.  But the lady and her dress are done!  With any luck, I will complete the cross-stitching in a week and then I can start on all that backstitching.  I'm glad I've done some of it as I went along, but there is still a lot to do.  Then there will be the beading as well - I'm liking forward to that part!

I generally have the project rolled up except for the area where I am working (it helps to keep it clean and out of my way), so I was amazed again at how beautiful she is when I unrolled it to take pictures.  Let me know what you think!